About Us Registration of Birth and Issue of Passports to Minors

Untitled Document

Registration of Birth and Issue of Passport to Minors

Registration of Birth and Issue of Birth Certificate

Parents should register the birth of their child as soon as the birth takes place since the delay in registration of birth causes complications in grant of Indian citizenship and issuing passport to the child.  Online registration became compulsory w.e.f 15.04.2013.  Embassy can only register the birth of the child within one year of the birth.  After one year from the date of birth of the child, registration can only be done with the approval of the Ministry of Home Affairs, which takes considerable time- sometimes years.  Parents are therefore advised to register the birth of the child well within the stipulated time of one year.

For detailed instructions and registering the birth of the child online, please click the link:  https://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/  and then click on Registration of birth of a minor child at an Indian Consulate Under section 4(1) of the Citizenship Act, 1955

Click on the link for fee for birth registration : http://www.eoicaracas.gov.in/page/fee-schedule-of-consular-services/


Issue of Passport to Minors

  • Please click on the link for filing online passport application form:


  • Link for fee schedule :


  • Every child should have a separate passport.

  • Formalities for applying for passport for minor are same as applicable for issuing a new passport to an adult applicant.

  • For issue of passport for the first time to the children born under jurisdiction of this Embassy, registration of birth of the child and applying for a new passport can be done simultaneously.

  • The child can sign or put a thumb impression (if child cannot sign) on the application form which should be duly counter-signed by the parents or legal guardian of the child.

  • In case, one of the parents of the child is unable to sign the documents for any reason like staying away in a different country, the other parent should submit an Affidavit (click here for affidavit) in this regard.

  • The Parents of the minor should also submit an Affidavit taking full responsibility for the passport request of the minor. ( Click here for Affidavit and Declaration ).

  • The parents of the minor should give a “No Objection” for issue of passport to their child and submit an undertaking stating that the child does not possess any other passport or does not hold any other nationality.

  • Self attested copies of Resident Permit of the child (if issued) and that of the parents may be submitted. The photocopies should be in colour and legible.

  • Photocopies of passports of parents, and Marriage Certificate of parents, duly attested and legalised should be submitted.

  • In case the names of parents in the Marriage certificate and Indian passport do not match, a duly notarised Affidavit should be submitted explaining the reasons for the mismatch. The names in the passports of the parents will be considered the correct ones for the purpose of issue of passport to a minor.

  • Four photographs as per specifications given on link: Renewal/Reissue of Passports should be submitted.


  Thumb Impression for PPTs for Minors/new born babies:

  • Thumb Impression of children who cannot sign may be put within the Thumb Impression Box itself (and not out of the box).

  • Parents should not sign in ‘signature column' or on/across the ‘photo' on behalf of minor children/infants or children who cannot sign. The parents should append their signatures on the last page of the form just after the thumb impression of the child has been imprinted.

  • If the child's name has been endorsed on mother's passport, then the mother has to fill in a miscellaneous service form (For Application form - click here) requesting for deletion of child's name from her passport.


Please note:

  • The validity of a passport for children under 15 years of age will be for 5 years only for a new passport.

  • Prescribed fee as per Fee Schedule under Consular link should be paid.

  • For applicants in the Islands, a duly paid courier envelope should be kept for return of the Passport.